Gary Petts
Dog & Duck Ground
Club Overview
Team Kit Colours
Home Kit
Away Kit
Ground Location
Club Twitter
Club Honours
Club Information
Club Name: Wellingborough Town FC
Ground: Dog & Duck Ground
Address: London Road, Wellingborough,Northamptonshire
Postcode: NN8 2DP
Twitter: @@doughboys_wtfc
Registered Colours:
Registered GK Colours:
Alternative Colours:
Alternative GK Colours:
Secretary: Mick Walden
Secretary Email:
Manager: Gary Petts
Programme Editor: Steve Whitney
County Affiliation: Northamptonshire County FA
Year Formed: 2004
Record Attendance: 0
Previous Leagues:
Current Division:
Club History

The original club was formed in 1867 and is the sixth oldest football club in the country.



The club was a founder member of the first professional football club in the country.





Wellingborough Town are also the oldest club in the County of Northamptonshire.





Upon formation in 1867 the club played under part Handling Code until 1869 when they became a true soccer club. At that time the club ground was in Broad Green, Wellingborough. The club colours were old gold and black. The first secretary was a gentleman by the name of Thomas Slinn.





In 1879 Wellingborough Town became the first club to play under floodlights when they entertained Bedford at the Bassett's Close, Wellingborough. The game was a close encounter with Bedford winning 1-2. The lights were powered by generators positioned at each end of the pitch.





In the 1880's Wellingborough F.A was formed as was the East Midlands Association and in 1887 these two Associations merged to become the Northamptonshire F.A.





In 1894 the Wellingborough Charity Cup Competition started and by this time the Club was playing on the Thomas Field, Union Lane. Wellingborough. In the same year the Club became founder members of the Leicestershire & Northants League and in the following season joined the Midland League. The first recorded winners of the now 1st Division of the United Counties League were Wellingborough Town Reserves. The following year, 1896-97, saw the Club become founder members of the United league.





In 1899-00 the Club were runners-up in the Midland League before joining Division 1 of the Southern League in 1901-02. It was at this time they moved to their current ground at the Dog & Duck, London Road, Wellingborough. The Secretary at that time was a Mr S.J.Burns.





In 1905 the Club changed it's name to Wellingborough Redwell but resigned at the end of the season after finishing bottom of Division 1. The first recorded silverware was won when they became League Champions in 1910-11. The Club continued to be known as Wellingborough Redwell until 1919 when they reverted back to their former name of Wellingborough Town F.C.





In 1922 the Club ground record of 7,169 was set when they entertained Kettering Town in the Maunsell Cup Final, winning 2-1. The Wellingborough goals were scored by Harry Loasby and Stevens.





The Club records during the twenties, thirties and forties in the Northants, East Midlands, United Counties and Central Alliance leagues are somewhat scant and it was not until the fifties that that the league history of the Club was recorded in more detail. However, there were lean periods in the fifties before some success was recorded when Wellingborough became winners of Division 1 of the United Counties league in 1962-63. They repeated this success in 1964-65 during which time they only dropped six points. They successfully applied to join the Metropolitan League in 1968-69 and finished a creditable 7th. The following year however, they were League Champions and in 1970-71 they joined the West Midlands (Regional) League Premier Division finishing a creditable 3rd. With their ambitions now on a 'high' the Club joined the Southern League Division One North in 1971-72.



Match Day
Ground: Dog & Duck Ground
Address: London Road, Wellingborough,Northamptonshire
Postcode: NN8 2DP
Admission Prices:
Match Reports
Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions