Paul Jackson reviews the past week of UCL fixtures

UCL Review - w.c. 13/03/2018
P. Jackson

Tuesday 13th March 2018




Holbeach United found their form as they crushed Peterborough Northern Star 4-0 at Chestnut Avenue. Mitch Griffiths cut inside to beat the keeper at his near post with a low strike on 24 minutes, Stacy Cartwright nodded home the second on 53 after a corner had been headed back across goal, Will Bird kneed in another on 61 after the keeper had saved his initial effort and a long-range strike from sub George Zuerner rounded-off the scoring nine minutes from time.

Harborough Town and Whitworth served up nine goals for the 51 spectators at Bowdens Park, with the majority of them happy at the end. Cavell Jarvis put The Flourmen ahead on 10 minutes, but Alfie Harris levelled on 25. Ryan Baxter restored the visitor’s lead on 31 but sixty seconds later it was level again thanks to Callum Milne. The second half saw the game swing the way of the home side with Harris getting a second on 49, Harry Henbury making it four on 64, an own goal extended The Bees lead before Barnes Gladman made it six on 75. Jarvis grabbed a second for Whitworth eleven minutes from time but it was Harborough who were celebrating after a 6-3 win.

All other games were postponed.




Irchester United’s winning run came to an end as Burton Park Wanderers came from behind to take the points at Alfred Street. The Romans took the lead on 10 minutes through Nathan Heycock but Paul Caswell levelled just five minutes later. Dylan Otshudy came off the bench to become the match-winner as he gave BPW the lead on 69 minutes and it proved enough to secure a 2-1 away win.


Wednesday 14th March 2018




Just one game survived the weather and UCL Division One side Blackstones cruised past Peterborough League Division One opponents Kings Cliffe United 5-1. Goals from player boss Lee Clarke and Jones De Sousa late in the first half gave Stones the advantage, but Bradley Freeman halved the deficit soon after the break. Ben Porter restored the two-goal advantage before Clarke grabbed a second, this time from the penalty-spot. Clarke then set-up De Sousa for his second with a bit of unselfish play and Blackstones moved comfortably into the semi-final of the competition.


Saturday 17th March 2018




Yaxley are six points clear at the top after winning 2-1 at Harborough Town, but they had to come from behind in a battling performance. Aaron Preston gave the Bees the lead with his 52nd minute penalty, but goals from Phil Stebbing and Tom Waumsley keep the Cuckoos championship aspirations very much alive.

Wisbech Town are second following a stunning first half performance against Leicester Nirvana at Fenland Stadium. Goals from Alex Beck (7), Michael Frew (12), Jamie Stevens (22 & 30) and Josh Ford (33) put them five up with just over a third of the game gone. Jordan Nelson pulled one back from the spot on the stroke of half-time and he did the same after the restart before Shaquille Master added a third for the visitors to bring it back to 5-3. The Fenmen finally made the game safe with the third penalty of the afternoon with Danny Setchell making it 6-3 three minutes from time.

Deeping Rangers are third after a 3-1 win at Kirby Muxloe. Scott Mooney ended his mini goal drought with a brace after 7 & 44, sandwiching Scott Coupland’s strike on 38. Sam Wilson had levelled the scores for Kirby on 25 minutes.

It was a frustrating afternoon for Holbeach United who already have plenty of games to play. They were changed and ready to play Sileby Rangers at Carters Park, but the visitors failed to show. Matt Clarke, already Sileby’s third manager of the season, resigned on Friday and the players decided to go with him. A very difficult time for the Northampton side and hopefully they can sort things out and finish their season.

Dennis Greene finally got to celebrate his first win as Boston Town manager as two second half crackers from Cameron Johnson (52 & 68) gave them a 2-0 home win over Eynesbury Rovers.

Cogenhoe United made it six wins on the spin with a 2-1 win at Peterborough Northern Star. Making use of the wind they led at the break thanks to a perfectly placed effort from Montel Dore on 18 minutes and thunderbolt from skipper Ryan Dove eleven minutes later. Jake Mason pulled one back for PNS just before the hour and they were denied a point by the base of the post and some excellent keeping from Stuart Lutter.

Wellingborough Town were 3-1 winners at home to Daventry Town with Albert Akinremi (6), Nat Ansu (71) and Andy Hall (77) counting for the home side. Jake Dumbleton grabbed a late equaliser for Daventry on 82, but they were well beaten by that point.

Desborough Town bagged their first win under Aaron Davies with a 3-2 success at ON Chenecks. The home side had the lead at the break thanks to a Luke Tolworthy free-kick on 19, but Jason Turner levelled the scores six minutes into the second half. Chenecks retook the lead on 67 when a free-kick from wide somehow eluded everyone and went into the far corner, but Ar Tarn were level again four minutes later when Aiden Bradshaw headed home. Adam Spalding had a chance to put the Northampton side ahead again on 79, but he put his penalty wide and they were made to pay on 83 when youngster Sven Sartain bagged the winner with a cool finish on 83 minutes. Chenecks misery was completed when Ash Ogden picked up his second yellow card of the day meaning his side had to finish the game with ten men.

St Andrews picked up three points with a 3-2 win at Whitworth thank to a Sam Taylor double and one from Lewis Turland. One blot on the Leicester team’s day was the sending-off of Turland and his ensuing suspension.




Potton United kept up their promotion push with a 3-1 win at Harrowby United. Recent signing Claudio Dias gave the visitors the lead after just two minutes, but The Arrows were level a minute before the break after a defensive mix-up let in Jawanza Grant. Danny Webb put Potton back in the lead on 77 and former Cobblers player Dias grabbed a second three minutes from the end.

Oakham United were comprehensive winners in the bottom of the table clash, beating Stewarts & Lloyds 3-0 and lifting themselves back above their rivals.

Bourne Town were held 1-1 by Huntingdon Town at Abbey Lawn. Jake Waterworth gave the visitors the lead on 35 minutes, but Zac Munton earned the home side a point with his 70th minute strike.

Thrapston Town thrashed Long Buckby 4-0 at Chancery Lane. Luke Cummins helped himself to a hat-trick with strikes after 20, 30 and 57 before Kaine Clinton rounded things off after 72.

Lutterworth Athletic drew 2-2 at home to Buckingham Town with Jack Astill (2 mins) and Dom Ivens (90) scoring for Atho, Kelvin Osei-Addo netting both for The Robins (68 & 84). Buckingham also had Lewis Stafford sent-off.

It ended 1-1 between Olney Town and Bugbrooke St Michaels. Christian Smail getting Olney’s goal after 81 minutes.              

Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions