Update: The UCL Website is currently undergoing maintenance for the new season. Is there something you want to see from us? Email admin@theucl.co.uk

Paul Jackson reviews the past two weeks of UCL fixtures

UCL Round Up
04 APR
P. Jackson

Tuesday 20th March 2018



Boston Town, having ended their winless run three days earlier, made it two on the spin with a 2-1 win at Wellingborough Whitworth. A mix-up at the back for the home side allowed Jordan Tate to roll the ball in from twenty-yards after just three minutes and Cameron Johnson had doubled the advantage five minutes later. Whitworth pulled one back through Ryan Archer on 55 and their cause wasn’t helped by Connor Mallows receiving his marching orders.

Harborough Town entertained Desborough Town in a local derby and it was the visitors who claimed bragging rights courtesy of a 3-1 away win. Barnes Gladman gave The Bees the half-time lead with his 37nd minute strike, but Ar Tarn turned the game around after the re-start with goals from Dan White (53), Jason Turner (81) and Will Arnold (85). The latter scoring against his former club.

Oadby Town came back from 2-0 down to win 3-2 at Rothwell Corinthians. Joey Wright and Tom Mills had put Corinths in charge, but an Ola Ayoola towering header reduced the arears on 75 minutes, Callum Beardmore placed a low shot into the corner to level on 79 and Harry Allcock completed the turn-around a minute into stoppage time when his shot crashed in off the underside of the bar.




Substitute James Lieman netted the only goal of the game eight minutes from time to give Lutterworth Athletic a 1-0 win at home to Irchester United, while Thrapston Town won by the same scoreline at home to Buckingham Town.




Eynesbury Rovers will play local rivals St Neots Town in the final after a superb 2-0 win at Yaxley in a feisty cup-tie. Both sides ended the game with ten men after The Cuckoos Ross Watson and Rovers Aaron Butcher were sent off as goals from Craig Smith (17) and James Tricks three minutes after the ninety sealed the win for the visitors.




Melton Town bowed out to NKF Burbage in their county cup semi -final game played at Birstall United. Kieran Foster netted a late consolation goal for the UCL side, but a brace from Tom Smith gave the Midland League side a deserved win on the night.




Bourne Town joined Blackstones in the semis after a comfortable 4-1 win over Ketton at Abbey Lawn. Eddie McDonald swept The Wakes in front after ten minutes when he converted a James Zealand cross, Dan Schiavi made it two on 23 after Andrew Moss had played him through and Zak Munton added a third on 38, turning in a fine Schiavi cross. Wisbech player Conor Pilbeam, on dual registration with Ketton, reduced the deficit, but Munton grabbed his second on 71 to finish off the Peterborough League side.


Wednesday 21st March 2018


Cogenhoe United made it seven straight wins as they completed a quick double over Holbeach United. Montel Dore scored the game’s only goal on 23 minutes with a great finish from the left side of the box, firing his shot over the keeper and in off the far post. The visitors also had Liam Tuck sent-off on 40 minutes to make the win even more impressive.




Lutterworth Town were 5-0 up after 29 minutes at Rushden & Higham United so perhaps the Lankies will have been somewhat relieved to only lose 5-1. The visitors were quickly out of the blocks and took the lead through Jordan Small inside the first minute and Justin Peace made it two after seven. A double from Tendai Daire after 13 and 24 was followed by an own goal on 29 with the Swifts looking like they may run in double figures, but Jake Reynolds pulled one back five minutes from the end with the games only other goal. The home side’s misery was completed by the sending off of Aaron Cormack.

Cameron Brookes gave Oakham United a second half lead against Burton Park Wanderers, but the visitors snatched a point thanks to Mark Forbes 85th minute spot-kick.

Bugbrooke St Michaels also shared the spoils in their local derby with Long Buckby in a four goal game at Birds Close. Bayley Leslie (57) and Simon Barby (65) accounting for the visitors goals.


Thursday 22nd March 2018




Revitalised Oadby Town made it six points in three days with a 1-0 away success at Leicester Nirvana. Harry Allcock’s 4th minute effort was enough to earn maximum points in a game switched to the 4G facility at De Montford University as Nirvana try to fulfil their horrendous weather enforced backlog of home games.




Potton United beat Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division side Biggleswade United 2-0 at Hutchinsons Hollow to progress to the final. Second half goals from Danny Webb (50) and Hadley Boughton (90) doing the business for the Royals.


Friday 22nd March 2018




Newport Pagnell Town kept their Championship/Promotion challenge on track with a 4-1 home win over Whitworth on Friday night. The visitors clearly hadn’t read the script though and they took the lead through a Jordan Pendered penalty after 6 minutes. Dom Lawless opened his account in his latest spell in a Swan’s shirt to level eight minutes later and the home side took over after the break. A quick-fire double from Michael Lyons put Newport in charge, the first a header on 64, then a well-executed lob three minutes later and Lawless had the last word with a super strike nine minutes from time as they keep the pressure on up at the top.


Saturday 23rd March 2018




Yaxley continue winning in the Premier with a 2-0 home success over Rothwell Corinthians. Phil Stebbing and Dan Cotton the men on target as they remain six points clear at the top.

Wisbech Town had to come from behind to see off Harborough Town at the Fenland Stadium, but reclaim second spot after their 3-1 success. Barnes Gladman put The Bees in front on 20 minutes and that’s how it stood at the break. Michael Frew eventually put Wisbech on level terms after 68 minutes before a Billy Smith double (77 & 86) gave the Fenmen a vital three points.

Deeping Rangers lost a bit of ground at the top after in-form Oadby Town held them 1-1 in Lincolnshire. It looked like being even worse for the home side as they still trailed to Harry Allcock’s 10th minute goal as the clock ticked up 90, but Scott Mooney popped up with a last gasp equaliser. Deeping can still do it, but now they have to rely on others to drop points of they are to claim a top two finish.

Another defeat for out of sorts Holbeach United means their games in hand have gone and they trail second spot by six points. Desborough Town inflicted a 3-1 defeat on the Tigers at the Waterworks Field with Jason Turner heading home a Will Arnold cross after 10 minutes and doubling the lead from the spot early in the second half. Lewis Leckie pulled one back for the visitors but once Arnold had put his shot into the top corner on 71, it was another defeat for Holbeach.

Daventry Town beat Peterborough Northern Star 1-0 at home. Kieran Fitzgerald latched on to a flick-on from Bleu McNeil’s long throw to net the game’s only goal fourteen minutes from time.

Boston Town will be wondering how they went so long without a win after making it three in a week with a 3-0 demolition of one-time title contenders Leicester Nirvana at Tattershall Road. Cameron Johnson started the ball rolling in the first minute and Lewis Scattergood pounced on a goal-keeping error to make it two on 8 minutes. Johnson extended his tally to six in four games just before the break as The Poachers eased home and lifted themselves up to fifteenth in the table.

Wellingborough Town were 2-0 home winners over Kirby Muxloe. Deven Ellwood put them in front when he took an Andy Hall cross and turned to fire into the bottom corner and Albert Akinremi made it two, although his was rather more fortunate. Another Hall cross created the chance, but he mishit his shot badly and it looped over the keeper’s dive and in. They all count though.

The games other day failed to finish though as the referee abandoned it on 70 minutes after the home keeper had been injured and required an ambulance. Eynesbury Rovers were leading their hosts St Andrews 3-2 at the time. Dan Draper (6), Craig Smith (20) and Hayden Bream (27) had put Rovers in charge, but goals from Mark Foster (44) and Callum Sankey (53) had brought the home side right back in it. Best wishes go to the injured player and hope it doesn’t prove too serious.




Leaders Pinchbeck United were left idle after their intended hosts Thrapston Town claimed they couldn’t raise a side to face them. Very worrying when you only actually require a minimum of seven players to start a game.

Potton United remain favourites for the runners-up spot after a comprehensive 5-1 win at Bugbrooke St Michaels. Doubles form Danny Webb (9 (pen) & 57 and Gary Ansell-Carter (28 & 61) backed up by Aaron Murrell (75) put them clear, although The Badgers did pull one back on 77 when Adefolarin Ademidun converted from the penalty spot.

Raunds Town are third after a 4-2 win at Long Buckby. Scott Sandy put the home side ahead on 27 minutes but Dave Townsend 28 and Ty Clark 32 turned the game around. Ben Wilson levelled for Buckby on 39 but Raunds were back in front when Mason Thomas struck on the stroke of half-time. Clark netted his second in a quieter second half to round off the scoring five minutes from time.

Blackstones stay fourth after a 4-4 draw at Rushden & Higham United. Jory Mann and Dylan Wilson opened up a two-goal lead for the Lankies, but they then had Jake Reynolds red-carded. Blackstones pulled it back to 2-2 through Joe Papworth (52) and Lee Clarke (57), but Wilson’s second of the game put the home side back in front. The Stamford side swung the game by going 4-3 up with Jones De Sousa (72) and Matt Simpson (90) on target, but Nat Gosnal-Tyler had the last word with the eighth goal of a very entertaining afternoon.

Bourne Town destroyed Irchester United with a devastating first half performance at Abbey Lawn. Goals from Zak Munton (14), Dan Schiavi (34 & 40), Jacob Smitheringale (36) and Adam Rothery (42) made it five before the break, but The Romans won the second half to make the final score 5-1. If Bourne can keep this squad together in the summer, they could well prove to be serious promotion contenders next season.

Burton Park Wanderers trailed to Connor Clarke’s goal at the break at Huntingdon Town, but a Stuart McMichael double gave them the points in a 2-1 away win.

Lutterworth Town won 3-1 at home to Oakham United with Kade Lewis netting twice, the second from the penalty spot. Tendai Daire netting their second.

Melton Town were the day’s biggest winners, crushing poor old Stewarts & Lloyds 7-1 in Corby. Two efforts from George Coser (22 & 38) and 41st minute goal from Ben Lapworth pretty much ended the homes sides hopes, especially as they had their keeper red-carded right on half-time. S&L did grab one back on 72, but Melton strode on through doubles from Zak Ginvert (76 & 88) and Kieran Foster (84 & 90). With Melton just four places ahead of S&L, this would have been one of the games they would have hoped to get something from and really highlights their plight at the bottom of the table.

In the day’s final game, Olney Town ran out 2-1 winners at home to Harrowby United. Sam Macrae (75) and substitute James Saunders (90) scoring for The Nurserymen.


To round-off this week’s review, I need to say a massive well done to former UCL side Brackley Town who saw off Wealdstone 3-0 on aggregate to reach the final of the F.A Trophy in May. Just to put things into perspective, in 1993/4 season, they finished bottom of the UCL Premier Division with just 10 points and having conceded 216 goals before moving back to the Hellenic League. This was an improvement on the previous season though when they failed to win all season and amassed just three points (although they only conceded 210 that time).


Tuesday 27th March 2018




Cogenhoe United made it eight wins in a row as three unanswered second half goals saw off Sileby Rangers at Compton Park. Montel Dore’s  excellent finish gave The Cooks the lead on 53 minutes and after Matt Long had been fouled in the box six minutes later, Ryan Dove slammed home the penalty for his 25th goal of the season. Substitute Matt Johnson added the third three minutes from time with great finish from just outside the box, striking the ball with the outside of his boot and picking out the far top corner.

Boston Town made it four straight wins with a 4-1 demolition of inconsistent Desborough Town at Tattersall Road. Cameron Johnson gave the home side the lead with a low drive from the edge of the box, Lewis Scattergood, on loan from Doncaster Rovers, made it two when he followed up after the Desborough keeper could only parry a shot and Fraser Bayliss struck an angled shot across the keeper to make it three. Louis Martin puilled one back for Ar Tarn on the stroke of half-time, but Johnson had the last word, running into the box and firing his shot into the top corner.

A double from Peter Taylor (45 & 63) was enough to give Harborough Town a 2-1 win at home to Kirby Muxloe.

Leicester Nirvana won 1-0 at Rothwell Corinthians with Will Gonga netting the all important goal after seven minutes.




Potton United’s promotion hopes are well on track after an impressive 4-1 win at Bourne Town. Four goals in eleven first half minutes saw the Bedfordshire club home and dry with Aaron Murrell (25), Danny Webb (28 and 32 (pen)) and recent signing Darryl Smith on 36. Adam Rothery scored the Wakes goal on 35 minutes.

Stewarts & Lloyds pulled off a great comeback to earn a 3-3 draw after trailing 0-3 at home to Harrowby United. Sam Durrant, Jack Nolan and Jack Rogers scored for the Foundrymen.

Melton Town took a fourth minute lead through Jordan Cufflin-Stableford after just four minutes, but hosts Lutterworth Athletic came back to win 2-1 thanks to goals from Callum Harris (15) and Dom Ivens (80).


Wednesday 28th March 2018




Just one game survived the downpours and Pinchbeck United took another step towards the championship with a 5-0 win at home to Oakham United. Four-up at the break, it was a bit of a stroll for the Lincolnshire based league leaders. Ollie Maltby headed them in front from a Josh Smith cross, then Aaron Eyett coolly slotted home a second. Smith then hit a quick-fire double, firstly netting at the second attempt from a Liam Ogden pass, then with a sweet left-foot finish after being set up by Eyett. The final goal came from sixteen year-old sub Reif Clarke with the sub slotting home from the penalty spot after Tom Sargeant had been fouled in the box.


Saturday 31st March 2018




Just three games survived in the Premier Division as heavy rain took its toll across the area once more and the only reason Leicester Nirvana were able to play was the fact that they switched their home game against Sileby Rangers to the 3G at Judgemeadow Community College. The move paid off for the Leicester based club as they thrashed the bottom markers 9-0, with Mandeep Bains helping himself to a hat-trick after starting the ball rolling with his first after 5 minutes. Gurdeep Mudhar made it two and 9 and Ryan Calver added another on 35. They tripled their tally after the break through Will Gonga (49), Jordan Nelson (57), Bains (62), Nelson (76), Bains again (77) and Farid Yussuf two minutes from time.

Deeping Rangers ended Cogenhoe United’s winning run by holding them 2-2 at Outgang Road. Scott Mooney slid in to poke home the first from less than a foot out on 48 minutes, but Matt Long followed up after Danny Bircham had saved Ryan Dove’s effort on 64 and Long set up Montel Dore to put the visitors in front on 72. It was looking like nine wins in a row for the Cooks, but Rangers leading scorer Scott Coupland finished coolly from inside the box with six minutes remaining to earn his side a home point.

Holbeach United continue to blow hot and cold and Saturday was a form day as they swept away St Andrews 4-0 at Canal Street. The visitors had Will Bird doing a lot of the damage with a hat-trick, while Mitch Griffiths got the Tigers other goal.




Just two games survived the floods in Division One and Oakham United belied their second bottom spot with an amazing 9-1 win over mid-table Buckingham Town in Barleythorpe. Cameron Brookes hit four, Scott Waumsley two, with one apiece for Corey Taylor, Stewart Lambie and Jamie Black giving the Rutland side their record UCL win.

Olney Town and Burton Park Wanderers drew 2-2 at East Street, with the visitors twice coming from behind. James Saunders gave the Nurserymen the lead inside the first minute, but Paul Caswell levelled on 15. Drew Mitten put the home side ahead again ten minutes into the second half, but Caswell struck with his second three minutes later and the two teams had to settle for a point each.


Easter Monday 2nd April 2018


Sadly the standard English Bank Holiday weather returned and torrential rain swept the midlands forcing the postponement of the whole league programme.


Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions