Rushden & Higham
Oakham United


Jed Ainge, Aaron McCormack


Alex Brockbank (x2), Edward McDonald (x2), Michael Nelson (x3)

The high scoring start to the Division One season continued as the new look Lankies were handed a drubbing by an Oakham side which was ruthless in exploiting defensive deficiencies.

Oakham took the lead seven minutes in when Michael Nelson latched on to a poor clearance to curl a shot beyond keeper Oli Brown.

The hosts threatened a leveller when Ashlee Adebayo played in Dale Reece whose shot was well saved by Quincy Shorunmu.

On 14 minutes Oakham doubled their lead, Eddie McDonald heading against the crossbar with the ball rebounding in off keeper Brown.

Adebayo struck the post as Rushden & Higham replied and then Daryl Lawman's free kick found Shorunmu well placed to save.

Aaron Cormack gave the Lankies a 22nd minute lifeline, following up to score after Shorunmu saved from Adebasyo, but within a minuted Oakham restored their two goal margin. McDonald's through ball sent Alex Brockbank into a race with keeper Brown who reached the ball first only to miskick and present the striker with the chance to roll the ball home for a debut goal.

The goals kept coming with Jed Ainge again reducing the arrears with a fierce shot from the edge of the box after 26 minutes.

Reece had the chance to level shortly afterwards, latching on to an Ainge pass only to fire wide.

Ben Aidulis tested Shorunmu from distance but Oakham extended their lead after 41 minutes. Ben Easson rode a series of unconvincing home tackles before rolling the ball across goal for Brockbsank to score his second from close in.

Oakham scored a fifth goal nine minutes into the second half. Stewart Lambie's through ball sent Nelson away on the left and his shot clipped the post with McDonald tapping in the loose ball.

Ryan Kalla,s full blooded volley hit the bar for Rushden & Higham but their challenge was killed off a minute before the hour, Lambie again finding Nelson in space on the left, the striker cutting inside to slot past Brown at the near post.

The Lankies thought they had reduced the arrears seven minutes later as Kalla applied a close range finish to a deflected Aidulis shot, only for the officials to detect an infringement.

Nelson shot wide of the far post after again getting in behind the home defence and brother Richard was then kept off the scoresheet by Brown's tip over.

Oakham rounded off a memorable night with a seventh goal in the 90th minute, Nelson converting a deep Easson centre at the far post.

Rushden & Higham: Oli Brown, Ben Aidulis (Billy Reece), Ben Lord, AAron Cormack, Wayne Abbott, Sam Fowler (Scott Manning), Dale Reece, Jed Ainge, Ryan Kalla, Ashlee Adebayo (Ryan Cormack), Daryl Lawman.

Oakham: Quincy Shorunmu, Liam Hollingworth, Ben Easson, Dan Jenkins, Gavin Cooke, Robbie Pearce (Andy Sayers), Stewart Lambie, Eddie McDonald, Michael Nelson, Alex Brockbank (Richard Nelson), Nicki Young (James North).



Copyright 2016 - United Counties Football League
Privacy Policy
Terms & Conditions